Welcome

Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you find interesting ideas and inspiring images. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated! Check out my facebook page.

About Me

My photo
My name is Gerrie Wydeven doing-business-as Wydeven Designs. I have been conducting this small GREEN business since 2004. Wydeven Designs, based in the Atlanta, Georgia area, sells CHAIRS, LOVESEATS, CHAISES, SETTEES and other fine, well-constructed refurbished upholstered pieces. I love to travel, cook, take photographs and generally follow style and decor topics as well!

Monday, March 7, 2011

American Furniture Manufacturing – A Fine Tradition – North Carolina (first installment)

I thought it would be interesting to research and share information about the great American furniture manufacturers – both those still in existence and those no longer in business - and relate it to the pieces I have acquired over the years.  One of Wydeven Design’s primary goals is to applaud this fine heritage and in my own small way, do what I can to extend the life of the fine quality pieces they have produced.  It is because they have crafted such exceptional furniture that my business of refurbishing “heirloom pieces” exists – there are many pieces around and available and, with any kind of concerted effort, they will still be around for generations to come.

Over the past seven years, I have carefully recorded the provenance of pieces I have acquired and refurbished whenever that information was available.   I noted that many of the finest companies have their origins in North Carolina.   Some have simply vanished; some have been merged with other companies both in NC and elsewhere; and some remain to day as they have stood for decades and more.  I plan to do a series of blogs on fine American manufacturing and this is my first installment focusing on some North Carolina Companies.  In this listing, I will skip well-known and beloved manufacturer, Hickory Chair (Hickory, NC) since I’ve addressed them in another blog.

Bernardt - (link) - Lenoir, NC since 1889.  In 1958, they launched their Flair Division.

Bernhardt Chairs (SOLD)
Lee Industries  - (link) - Newton NC since 1919

Lee Industries loveseat (SOLD)
Statesville Chair Company – (link) - Statesville, NC since 1919

Statesville Chair (SOLD)
Century Furniture – (link) -  Hickory NC since 1947

Disque Furniture Company (out of business) - High Point, NC

Schoonbeck Company (out of business) - High Point, NC

Woodmark Originals (now part of Hekman - link) - High Point, NC since 1964

Woodmark Originals


The list goes on and on and I will introduce others in future blogs. 

There is one lesson here – if you can find pieces made by these great companies – buy them and preserve them – they represent the best in American craftsmanship!!

No comments:

Post a Comment