|Chairs Display at ADAC|
Here are some ideas I walked away with that inspire my own work:
- Structural pieces (wood exposure, interesting angles and lines) are as important as ever.
- Solid fabrics, sometimes but not always neutrals, are key to flexibility in decorating.
- Heirloom/reproduction pieces are key to not being overly matchy-matchy or too predictable creating more interesting spaces.
- Lots of painted woodwork and/or exposed lighter wood surfaces are shown in most showrooms - not too many with dark traditional wood finishes (or at least a mix of the two).
- Traditional shapes and styles like wing back, bergere/French, and regency are still (and may always be) hot!
- Oversized pieces are "out" and moderate-sized (even compact) can be just as comfortable and even "masculine".
- Restrained but elegant woodwork (whether painted or not) are incorporated in designs - not heavy or expensive woodwork unless somehow diminished (e.g. by painting, leaving natural).