|One of my first chairs sold - I called it "David Chair" because it had originally been done by this local designer.|
I am amazed that I have been doing this for ten years! I still have a strong passion for finding great fabrics and heirloom quality upholstered furniture in need of refreshing (and often rescuing). I plan to do several postings on this subject!
Here is a brief history:
- 2004 – Working with local upholstery shop (Song’s Upholstery of Norcross, GA), started producing refurbished pieces for sale through a website developed by a work colleague. Sold my first chair (red toile fabric oversized wingback chair) to my brother in Alexandria, VA, and started to get acquainted with the shipping logistics involved.
- 2004-2005 – Rented a space in a shop “Eclectic” in the Chattahoochee District near downtown Atlanta. Paige, the owner/operator, had found my products on-line and asked if I wanted to help her launch her business. She gave me a lot more space than I paid for and staged my pieces with fine rugs and original artwork – a great setting but virtually no traffic.
- 2005 – Shop closed and I sold some of my pieces at a high-end consignment shop – Now and Again – in Buckhead, near downtown Atlanta. I started listing on eBay link and selling some of the pieces directly through personal contacts and referrals.
- 2006-2012 – Sold items primarily through eBay, some directly to new and referred clients and some through Etsy link . During this period, my upholsterer’s shop changed hands and the Lees (now operating as Sun’s Upholstery) took over. They continued to provide me great upholstery expertise and services AND (no small matter) space to store “before” and “after” pieces.
- 2011 - Started using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to personally redo woodwork for some of my pieces. Prior to this, I had my upholsterer spray paint wood when necessary.
- 2013-2014 – Invited by One King’s Lane link to submit pieces for their “Vintage and Market Finds” market. For the past three months, this has been my primary venue for selling even though I continue to list on both eBay and Etsy (at a much reduced price).
- 2013 - Had my most profitable year selling 132 orders (often of multiple chairs/pieces) to over 100 clients – about 15 repeats.
- 2013 – Started a minor delivery service within a reasonable range of Norcross, GA – traveled as far as Asheville, NC (overnight twice) to Columbus, SC, to Robins-Warner, GA.
2014 – Not looking to end this anytime soon!!!